Today is the right time to develop a global mindset and show employers you have the skills to work in international business. Canadian companies are expanding their footprints around the world, growing and leveraging global relationships and using global supply chains to gain advantage. Saskatchewan exports are at over $35 billion annually, making the Edwards School of Business a prime location to study global business and prepare for an exciting career.
There are two global business credentials that B.Comm. students can pursue - the Global Business Stream (GBS) and/or the Advanced Global Business Stream (GBSA).
All academic classes within the streams are taught by fully-qualified faculty instructors. The Forum for International Trade Training (FITT) 'Going Global' Workshops are also taught by qualified instructors who hold the Certified International Trade Professional (CITP) designation - the highest mark of professionalism in international trade and the leading designation of its kind.FITT has trained such reputable organizations as the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, Export Development Canada and Business Development Bank of Canada and has conducted the 'Going Global' Workshops in Canada for over 20 years.
Global Business Stream
The Global Business Stream (GBS) requires students to complete three business courses (9 credit units) and attend three Forum for International Trade Training (FITT) Going Global Workshops.
The good news is that most Edwards students already take at least one of these classes. So, you may be well on your way to meeting this requirement! And FITT workshops are one-day events, usually on Fridays or Saturdays. What's better than learning from some of Canada’s top global experts? Quite a résumé builder!
Global Business Stream Requirements:
- COMM 340.3: Introduction to International Business
- Choose 6 credits of Global Business Stream Courses
- Choose 3 non-credit FITT Going Global Workshops
Advanced Global Business Stream
Upon completion of the GBS, business students can further their international business knowledge and pursue the Advanced Stream by attending an additional FITT Workshop and completing either additional courses, studying abroad for a term or completing an honours project related to international business.
Advanced Gloabl Business Stream Requirements:
- Completion of the GBS requirements
- Choose of one of the following options:
- 6 credit units of approved Global Business Stream courses
- Completion of at least 6 credit units through the U of S Study Abroad program
- Completion of one of the following honours projects related to international business: ACC 400.6, FIN 400.6, HRM 400.6, MGT 400.6, MKT 400.6 or OM 400.6
- Minimum of 1 FITT Going Global Workshop
General Program Requirements
- Students may complete all required classes, FITT Workshops, and activities at any time during their studies, as long as they follow prerequisites
- Students must earn a minimum grade of 65% on all approved courses within the streams
- Forum for International Trade Training (FITT) session requirements are fulfilled when the Hanlon Centre has reviewed and accepted the required report for each session